Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Finding Light in the Darkness



I know that our memories are short in the 24 hour news cycle, but it was only a little over a month ago when gunmen walked into a Pakistani school and killed 132 students and 12 educators. When I learned of this, I just went cold inside. This is the kind of thing that keeps me awake at night, my heart beating fast, my mind racing, wondering what kind of world we live in where something like this could possibly happen. I kept thinking about it in the following days- reading about it, trying not to read about it…

Sometimes you strangely get exactly what you need to help you deal with something. For me, that came in the form of an e-mail from a family member who had a contact in Pakistan who was wondering if some students in America might like to write letters of support to the children in Pakistan.

So, I sat down with my students and talked carefully and gently with them about the massacre in the Pakistani school. I tried to answer questions as best I could. Then I told them that I had a contact in Pakistan and we could write letters of support and concern and send them to students there.

They just embraced the project. I have not seen them work so hard in a long time. They would not stop writing! Here is what they wrote:


We are with you, Pakistan. People care about you.


I’m very sad because kids should feel free at school.


I wish you will be happy and not scared. Please don’t stop in your life.


I know the feeling of losing someone you love. Don’t give up.


My county had a lot of problems and many people died. I’m very sad about that so I can really feel your pain.


Be strong.



Kids can be so amazing. They have depth that surprises me. These letters helped me find some light in the darkness of this story.

Then we got this response from a Pakistani girl. I didn’t correct the English in it. It seemed wrong to do that.


i am from pakistan amd i am studing in IM sciences schoool of american enlish language.unfortunately our institute is closed after 16 december .we cannot goes to school .but we want to read we want tp learn .because we want to make our future bright .we are very happy that in this time you people are with us




Here is an update on how the school in Pakistan is doing…..




http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2015/01/23/379398851/after-the-slaughter-a-pakistani-school-seeks-to-heal

No comments:

Post a Comment